Back to Family Tree Home Page
Langford - Edward
PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION
From records this family was seated in the county of Wilts at an early period. In the roll of Edward III. we find Le Sire de Langford, Port d’Argent et Gules Pales de l’ecu, chef d’azure, un Leopard passant d’or. Several manors and estates formerly their property in that county still bear the names appended, viz., Steeple Langford, Little Langford. Monuments to this family are found in Farley Church, near Trowbridge.
Alexander Lanford, b. 15_? d. 15_?of Trowbridge, a clothier and property owner, m. 15_? ?? and had issue,
1... Edward Langford, b. 15_? d. 15_? of Trowbridge, m. Mary Hyde, b. 15_? and had issue
1. Mary Langford, b. 1578 in Trowbridge, Wiltshire d. 1666, buried in Westminster Abbey. m. 3 Apr. 1597 in Trowbridge Henry Hyde, of Dinton, Wilts, b. 1563 West Hatch, Wiltshire d. 29 Sep 1634, s. of Lawrence HYDE and Anne Sibell, and had issue,
1. Lawrence Hyde, b. 1600 Dinton d. Oct 1600 buried in Dinton Church, Dinton, Wiltshire.
2. Henry Hyde, b. 1601 Dinton, Wiltshire, d. 1627
3. Sir Edward Hyde, b. 15 Feb.1608 Dinton d. 19 Dec 1674 in Rouen, Normandy, France, buried in Westminster Abbey, in 1661, was created Baron Hyde, Viscount Cornbury and, 1st Earl of Clarendon, Lord Chancellor m. 10 Jul. 1634 in St. Margaret's, Westminster, Middlesex Frances Aylesbury b. 1617 d. 8 Aug. 1667, dau of Sir Thomas Aylesbury, Bart., b. 1576 d. 1657, and had issue,
1. Lady Anne Hyde, Duchess of York, b. 12 Mar. 1638 d. 31 Mar. 1671. m. 3 Sept 1660 James, Duke of York, later James II, younger brother of Charles II , third son of Charles I and had issue,
1. Charles Duke of Cambridge, b. 22 Oct. 1660 d. 5 May 1661.
2. James Duke of Cambridge, b. 12 Jul. 1663 d. 22 May 1667.
3. Charles Duke of Kendal, b. 4 Jul. 1666 d. 20 Jun 1667.
4. Edgar Duke of Cambridge, b. 14 Sep. 1667 d. 15 Nov 1669.
1. Queen Mary II Stuart, b. 30 Apr. 1662 d. 28 Dec 1694..
2. Queen Anne Stuart, b. 6 Feb. 1665 d. 1 Aug 1714.
3. Henrietta Stuart, b. 13 Jan. 1669 d. 15 Nov 1669.
4. Catherine Stuart, b. 9 Feb 1671 d. 5 Dec. 1671.
2. Lady Francis Hyde.
4. Nicholas Hyde, b. 1610 Dinton d. 9 Mar. 1611
1. Anne HYDE was born in 1597.
2. Elizabeth HYDE was born in 1599.
3. Mary HYDE was born in 1603.
4. Sibble HYDE was born in 1605.
5. Susanna HYDE was born in 1607.
2. ? Langford
2... John Langford, retired to a small paternal property, near Ross, in Hereforshire and had issue,
1. Edward Langford, b. 16_? d. 17_? In 1715 joined the forces raised in support of James III., commonly called the First Pretender, and was at the battle of Preston Pans. After the ruin of the Stuart cause he was compelled to seek safety in flight and retired to Penzance in Cornwall, and purchased the estate of Trungle. m. Katherine Nettle, b. 6 January 1700/01 in Madron, Cornwall dau. of John Nettle, a Jacobite distantly connected with Baron Hyde, and had issue,
1. Constance Langford, b. 17_ d. 1812 at Bath, Somerset m. 17 May 1752 at Madron, Penzance, Cornwall, Samuel Pellew, b. 11 Aug. 1712, Mylor, Cornwall, bapt. at Mylor. d. at Dover 14 Apr. 1765 buried at the junction of the two aisles in St Mary's the Virgin Church, Dover., (aged 53) and had issue,
1... Samuel Humphrey Pellew, M.D., (Doctor of Medicine) b. 1754, bapt. 26 Feb. at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, d. 18 Feb. 1843, (aged 89) Samuel became a surgeon, and was in charge of customs at Falmouth. m. Jane "Jenny" Bawden b. 17_ d. 18_ , having had issue.
2... Edward Pellew, 1st Viscount Exmouth, b. 5 am 19 Apr. 1757 (twin), bapt. 24 June at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, d. 23 Jan. 1833, (aged 76) at West Cliff House, Teignmouth, Devon m. 28 May 1783 at East Knoyle, Susannah Frowde (b.1765 d. 29 October 1837), 2nd dau. of Sir James Frowde, Bart., of East Knoyle, Wiltshire, and had issue.
3... Admiral Sir Israel Pellew, K.C.B., (Knight Commander of the Bath), an Admiral in the Royal Navy. b. 25 Aug. 1758, bapt. 28 Aug. at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, d. 19 July 1832, (aged 74) buried at Charles Church, Plymouth on 26th July 1832. m. 1792 Mary Gilmore, dau. of George Gilmore, Esq., of Ireland, and had issue.
4... John Pellew, b. 1760, bapt. 18 Mar. 1760 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, an Ensign (hist. the lowest commissioned infantry officer) in the Army, d. 1777, (aged 17) killed at the Battle of Saratoga in North America.
1... Catherine Pellew, (Constantia / Katherine) b. 5 am 19 April 1757 (twin), bapt. 24 June at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, d. 9 Feb.1786 at sea, (aged 29). m. 1783, Charles Louis (Carl Ludvig), Count Jägerskiöld, of Finland b. 1758 d. 1811 (aged 53) son of Vice-Admiral Christer Ludvig, Count Jegerschöld, [Jägerskiöld] b.1711 d. 1798, (aged 87) of Sweden, and had issue.
2... Jane Constantia Pellew, b. 1762, bapt. 7 Apr. 1763 at St. Mary the Virgin, Dover, d. 18_ m. 17_ Lieutenant Henry Spriddle, Royal Navy and had issue.
2. ? Langford
3. ? Langford
3... Robert Edward Langford, who is described as of Studleigh, near Calne, Wilts, migrated into Somersetshire, and bought an estate at Hallatrow, in 1620 and had issue.
1. ? Langford
2. ? Langford
ARMS - Port d’Argent et Gules Pales de l’ecu, chef d’azure, un Leopard passant d’or
See http://Pellew/Exmouth for details.
Descendants of Edward Langford